Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Verisign "responds"

From: "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonathan () nuclearelephant com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:04:13 -0400

shouldn't that be "we're clueless morons who don't care about the expense we
cause other businesses to absorb, we're only interested in our own
wallets."

Having read ICANN and IAB's review of Verisign's sitefinder service, the
statement you are referring to:

6 Conclusion
A wildcard entry in a zone affects DNS responses for that zone. For existing
applications that do not contemplate the effects of wildcard entries,
application developers should consider taking appropriate corrective
actions.
----------

Should say:

A wildcard entry in a zone affects DNS responses for that zone.
For existing applications that conform to the Internet standards
as the world knows them, application developers should consider
taking a more "Microsoft" approach and let us redefine the standard,
thus making it your own fault for not anticipating the unplanned
and poorly thought out actions of Verisign.

Put bluntly:

Verisign broke several of the standards we rely on (including both
written and unwritten standards) and have no business blaming application
developers for not doing the same.

In summary:

Verisign: Australian for Dumbass

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.