Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Raw sockets elimination in Windows XP SP2

From: "Edward Ray" <support () mmicman com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:31:00 -0700

 Should this topic already have been discussed on FD, my apologies.

IMHO, crippling the TCP/IP stack instead of Fixing a flawed OS is not the
way to do things.

According the Fyodor, author of Nmap, MS did not even implement it properly,
as Nmap v3.55-SP2 has been provided for a workaround.

MS also throttled TCP connections which affects P2P networks.  Now that
companies are embracing P2P for their own internal networks, this is another
reason not to upgrade to SP2.

I guess I will have to leave my laptop dual boot for the time being...

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html