Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: sco.com -> slow? :)

From: "Shawn K. Hall \(RA/Security\)" <Security () ReliableAnswers com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 18:22:20 -0500

According to this report in Money magazine, SCO issued a
statement this morning saying the website was DoS'd
"beyond its capacity"
http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/01/technology/mydoom.reut/

It also seems to me that if they simply removed the DNS
entry, then www.caldera.com would be functioning.
However, it's also down and has been since yesterday
afternoon (when I first noticed sco.com failing).

What they should have done was just change the DNS record for
www.sco.com to "127.0.0.1" so that traffic wouldn't affect the rest of
the internet and setup a * 'A' record so requests for anything else
(like wwww.sco.com or sco.com) would still be able to get to their
site.

What kind of sysadmins do they have at these places?

Regards,

Shawn K. Hall
http://ReliableAnswers.com/

    What are the two most common elements in the universe?
        Hydrogen & Stupidity.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html