Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [inbox] malware added in transit

From: "Alerta Redsegura" <alerta () redsegura com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:29:28 -0500

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu said:

Please note that this has gotten out of context in the last
60 years or so.  At the time, "computer" meant "one of a
kind system far beyond the normally available technology...

We must remember that Thomas Watson Sr. was not an engineer but a marketer:
he did not foresee the potential of computers, as he did not see any
commercial future in xerography, for instance, passing up a chance to
acquire the relevant patents.

IBM got into the computer industry only after Thomas Watson Jr. took over as
IMB´s CEO in 1952 with a different vision from his father's, taking the
company to the results we know today.

...and what Watson meant was "There's a world market for 5
of what we now call supercomputers". He'd seen the price
tags for the R&D that was being done, and knew to within a
few dollars what that class of high-end machine would run,
and how many sites would have that sort of budget.
60 years later, there's still only a market for 5-20 of
these - IBM has sold a few ASCI-class systems, but only in
the single-digits.  And they're happy with that, because
nobody else is selling in double-digits in that arena either.

Take a look at www.top500.org.

Regards,

Iñigo Koch
redsegura.com