Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: A rather newbie question

From: "Ethan Vaughn" <evaughn () levithan net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 15:44:01 -0600 (MDT)

OK. OK. But the point is *User Beware*. Just because the only thing on
your computer is aunt Gracie's recipes and a couple games doesn't mean
it's not important to try and secure it. The "no valuables here" might
work WRT the physical world of security (don't leave your digital cam
sitting on the driver's seat), but it's diff't with the Internet ... and
not necessarily intuitive. It just seems to be a common argument I hear --
indeed, one I used myself way back when.

Anyway. I think I'm preeching to the choir, as it were. I just thought it
worth mentioning ...

While I think you have a point I also think Ethan
has one too. It is important
to remember that users are generally clueless and/or
unconcerned with
security. Of course I'm grossly generalizing but I
think you get my point.

Yes, I can agree with that...I do get the point.  But
who are the users?  Say you're an admin at a law
firm...if the users are supposed to be
security-conscious (face it, a great many admins lack
even the most rudimentary security awareness), then
shouldn't the admins be required to have a law degree,
also?  How about a hospital...shouldn't each admin
then have to have a medical degree?

Keeping in mind that the weakest link can be the
average user is always a
good idea. And who would argue with idiot proofing
any system, computer or otherwise?

Within the context of the business needs of the
organization...sure.

So I think a little harmless joking amongst
ourselves isn't necessarily all
bad :-) After all, how many ID10T errors have you
fixed in the last week ;-P

I agree that harmless joking is fine...but I've seen
instances in which that harmless joking became part of
the admin's vocabulary, even in front of those same
users.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html