Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: A rather newbie question

From: Tremaine Lea <tremaine.lea () sjrb ca>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 15:42:14 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: David Hane [mailto:dlhane () sbcglobal net]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 1:35 PM
To: Harlan Carvey; Schmidt, Michael R.; 'Ethan Vaughn';
full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] A rather newbie question

<snippage>

While I think you have a point I also think Ethan has one
too. It is important to remember that users are generally
clueless and/or unconcerned with security. Of course I'm
grossly generalizing but I think you get my point.
Keeping in mind that the weakest link can be the average user
is always a good idea. And who would argue with idiot
proofing any system, computer or otherwise?

So I think a little harmless joking amongst ourselves isn't
necessarily all bad :-) After all, how many ID10T errors have
you fixed in the last week ;-P

The question is, how harmless is the joking, really?  In all fairness to
users, they may have a great deal of inexperience with our specialty... But
frankly, I also can't practice medicine, or law, or fix more than a very
general problem with a car.... This makes me inexperienced or ignorant (in
the dictionary sense) but hardly makes me stupid.

We live in a very specialized world, and it is the technical nature of
things that a degree of specialization is required in order to competently
and effectively carry out a designated task.

Tremaine

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html