Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Why is IRC still around?

From: "Jeff Donahue" <Jeff () Adinet com uy>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 16:26:19 -0300

That's because the Internet is free and no one can control what survives on it. What survives isn't what is *ethical* but what is *useful*. And IRC is very useful for some people, so it's here to stay.

The problem is not IRC; the problem is the misuse some people make of it. We cannot make knives dissapear, because they are useful; instead, we must get rid of people that uses knives to kill.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Danny" <nocmonkey () gmail com>
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 2:40 PM
Subject: [Full-disclosure] Why is IRC still around?

Well, it sure does help the anti-virus (anti-malware) and security
consulting business, but besides that... is it not safe to say that:

1) A hell of a lot of viruses/worms/trojans use IRC to wreck further havoc? 2) A considerable amount of "script kiddies" originate and grow through IRC?
3) A wee bit of software piracy occurs?
4) That many organized DoS attacks through PC zombies are initiated through IRC?
5) The anonymity of the whole thing helps to foster all the illegal
and malicious activity that occurs?
The list goes on and on...

Sorry to offend those that use IRC legitimately (LOL - find something
else to chat with your buddies), but why the hell are we not pushing
to sunset IRC?

What would IT be like today without IRC (or the like)? Am I narrow
minded to say that it would be a much safer place?

...D

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html