Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: [MailServer Notification]To recipient: Message matched eManager setting and action was taken.

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 13:57:01 +1300

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu to Michael Holstein:

ignoring the magic bits in the header. The next round of "social
engineering" emails that say :

"rename the attached .fix file to .exe so you can run it correctly"

are just around the corner.

I believe this has already been spotted in the wild...

Huh???

Someone has not been keeping up with their reading...

It has been known for quite some time now that, depending on the
flavour of Windows you run, simply renaming various kinds of files
(including MZ/PE .EXEs and OLE2s) to unregistered extensions leaves
them totally "executable" or "openable" _as usual with the normal
extension_.

And yes, I believe that this has been exploited in mass-mailing and
spam-seeded malware instances.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald