Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Multi-vendor AV gateway image inspection bypass vulnerability

From: Nils Ketelsen <nils () steering-group net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:51:50 -0500

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:37:42PM -0800, Steven Rakick wrote:
This would mean that if an image exploiting the
recently announced Microsoft LoadImage API overflow
were imbedded into HTML email there would be zero
defense from the network layer as it would be
completely invisible.

Yes. I am planning to test, what that means to all those content filtering
proxies. I have found one product that claims to be able to block "MIME
content in HTML", I think they are referring to RfC2397 with that.

Why am I not seeing more about this in the press? It
seems pretty threatening to me...

Internet Explorer does not Implement RfC2397. That means it is interesting
for a far smaller audience. ;-)

Nils
--
Nils Ketelsen  // Mississauga, Canada