Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Multi-vendor AV gateway image inspection bypass vulnerability

From: Steven Rakick <stevenrakick () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:27:20 -0800 (PST)

I see a distinct difference here.

First off, this technique doesn't add an additional
layer of user interaction like zipping a file and/or
password protecting it.

Secondly, other techniques don't completely obsure the
content or content header from the inspection
mechanism.

Now for the actual reason for this email.

This evening I noticed that my CheckPoint Firewall-1
(with SmartDefense) now has a new option to "Block
Encoded Images".  It doesn't actually detect the
exploit code, but at least someones starting to at
least give you an option to defend yourself by
blocking RFC 2397 formatted images.

--- Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us> wrote:

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 12:37 -0800, Steven Rakick