Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Wi-fi. Approaching customers

From: "Gregh" <chows () ozemail com au>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:42:07 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron DuFresne" <dufresne () winternet com>
To: "KF (Lists)" <kf_lists () digitalmunition com>
Cc: <full-disclosure () lists grok org uk>
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Wi-fi. Approaching customers

From what little I read on their site, it seems to be a radius auth mech
based upon MAC addresses.

Isn't that basically what a lot of wi-fi broadband router/modems do anyway?

Eg, set up a netgear DG834 (think it was) and it was having problems with auto assigned IPs for lan members so shortcut
the problem by telling it to manually assign IP number to MAC so that each time a MAC came in range it got the same IP
number always. I set the IP numbers manually at each client computer and thus they would only connect using that
number. Connection problems died off instantly, then. The upshot is that if the MAC is unknown, it cant get access now
even if the WEP is successfully decrypted. Wouldn't that radius auth be basically that idea?

Greg.