Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Wi-fi. Approaching customers

From: bkfsec <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:47:57 -0500

Soderland, Craig wrote:

Now here's the .90 cent question:
If ISP's are not liable for the content across them, and cannot be held
liable. And you run an Open WIFI network... Aren't you in effect an ISP Albeit a free one?
And if you are an ISP, then wouldn't you, not be liable for content sent
across your network.
That's a distinction I personally wouldn't rely on.

First, it depends on the local laws and jurisdictions. That may be true for some countries, but not others.

Second, in the US we call them common carriers. Via the FCC they aren't liable since they can't restrict usage in the first place. I believe that you need to qualify to be a common carrier, though I'm not sure what is involved in that qualification, whether it's automatic or not. I can say that I don't personally believe that that distinction would be created by simply supplying (whether known or unknown) the internet connection. If it did, then I would become a common carrier for my girlfriend since my hardware and connection supplies her computer with internet access. I'm not sure how that would fly in court. I suspect it wouldn't if it could be shown that I had the capability and belief that she should be blocked from doing something. It all falls back to the "reasonable man" test.

Third, since the connection is being made unbeknownst to the supplier, general disclaimers do not apply - negating that level of legal disassociation.

So, while it's an interesting concept, I'm not sure that I'd rely on it if I were a business.
            -Barry