Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: the "Sony/BMG" virus

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:28:23 -0600

How to use Sony cloaking

1) Write standard virus/trojan
2)  Trick poor person to run on computer (easy right?)
3) Name it with $sys$
4) It is now cloaked by the Sony DRM.

Isn't too hard...you will see more and more, it won't be long before
spyware is using it to hide as well. Is it good? No, any virus or
spyware can have it's own rootkit hooks if they wanted. But if they use
Sony, they can claim they weren't not trying to hide..."some other
software" was hiding them. Botnet admins like smaller coded bot...no
need to add any code...just a file renamed...man even a folder rename
for that matter

Thanks Sony...