Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Patch tuesday debris

From: ASB <abaker () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 06:08:14 -0500

Yes, there seems to have been some debris left from this one.   (Based on a
look at 5 systems)

No errors to speak of.

-ASB

On 11/20/06, Aaron Howell <aaron_howell () ngenuity-is com> wrote:

Dave "No, not that one" Korn wrote:
>   Last tuesday's updates (which I deferred installing until yesterday)
left
> a folder on my HD, called "C:\c0772dab3463959f7c", containing a log
file,
> msxml6-KB927977-enu-x86.log, which contains install logging details for
the
> msxml patch.

My folder is named c:\6ad0c137abd5117c8e8326 , and my file is named
msxml4-KB927978-enu.log

>   Did everyone get this (or perhaps a similarly-named folder with a
> different hex number)?  If absolutely everyone ended up with this it's
> probably just M$ being careless, but if not it might mean something
failed
> during install and that's why it didn't clean up properly.

I just checked 2 random machines at the office, and they both have
similar directories with the same log file. My assumption would be that
it's just sloppy installation leaving files rolling around...

>     cheers,
>       DaveK

aaron