Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: GNU tar directory traversal

From: Teemu Salmela <teemu.salmela () iki fi>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:30:01 +0200

Jeb Osama wrote:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Thats pretty much the purpose of symlinks.. Whats your point in
posting this fact in FD?

I tried to say that you shouldn't extract tar archives that come
from someone you don't trust.
If you extract an untrusted tar archive (for example, download it from the
web, or receive it as a e-mail attachment) as root it's as bad as
running an untrusted program as root because the tar archive
could replace any file (/bin/ls, /bin/bash, the kernel, etc) in the system.
Even the coders of tar would realize this is a security risk. I know
this because
, in the tar code, they really try to make it impossible to extract
files outside
the "extraction directory".

--
fscanf(socket,"%s",buf); printf(buf);
sprintf(query, "SELECT %s FROM table", buf);