Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: GNU tar directory traversal

From: Siim Põder <windo () p6drad-teel net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:35:51 +0200

Yo!

Jeb Osama wrote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Thats pretty much the purpose of symlinks.. Whats
your point in posting this fact in FD?

And is tar supposed to overwrite arbitrary files on the filesystem when
untaring an archieve?

If I understand Teemu right, then he's found a way to create a tar file
that would create a symlink when untared; and create further files to
wherever the symlink points to (If this is not the case, then
LOLOLOLOLOLOL might be in order).

So, for example, I make a tar archieve that contains a symlink to
'bla'->'/etc' and 'bla/passwd', that - if opened by root - would
overwrite the passwd file.

Discussing wether root should ever run tar is irrelevant.

Siim Põder