Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: How not to deal with a vulnerability in your code

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 05:11:09 -0500

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Manfred Schmitt
<full-disclosure () slashproc org> wrote:
Jeremy Visser schrieb:

On 05/11/2011, at 18:24, Leon Kaiser wrote:
sudo apt-get remove calibre
[...]
Ubuntu has already had the bug fixed, because they use a safe udev-based hook. The vulnerability only applies to
those who have installed Calibre from source. So "apt-get remove calibre" is a pretty naïve comment to make, but you
couldn't resist the bashing, could you?

The thread on launchpad clearly shows (at least for me) that the developer
has absolutely no clue about security, so imo the way to go is, even if
there are no local root exploits anymore (in upstream), to uninstall it.
I'm not that adventurous to wait until it deletes all my user files
because he (Maybe, I haven't looked at the source) also reinvented rm ;)
RMS has an interesting position on free software and security. Given a
choice, Stallman would rather see free software used even if its not
secure (so I've been told):

    RMS has been quite open about it on several
    occasions when push came to shove: it was more
    important that GNU systems use free software than
    that they be secure [1]

calibre is not an isolated case (Kovid did look like an ass when he
blew off Rosenberg). Mailman has been storing plain text/reversible
pass words for years [2]. Debian and friends supply a ressed(8) which
fetches random data over HTTP and uses it to reseed the kernel's PRNG
[3]. It goes on and on.

After GNU's Savannah was hacked, I tried to get security related items
to the GNU coding/style guide [4]. I did not even receive a reply from
the folks in Massachusetts.

Be wary of open source and free software - you get what you pay for.
And its not even really free: take a look at GPL V3. Apparently,
Stallman encumbered it to set it free (???).

Jeff

[1] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2011-November/072462.html
[2] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2011-November/072445.html
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/reseed/+bug/804594