Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Linux - Indicators of compromise

From: coderman <coderman () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:42:18 -0700

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Ali Varshovi <ali.varshovi () hotmail com> wrote:
I'm thinking that we need a comparison base or normal behavior profile to be able to detect any deviations or
abnormal/suspicious activity. While some known patterns of behaviors are useful to detect malware or backdoors we
still need that normal profile to detect 0-day or APT style intrusions. Isn't that the same idea from early days of
intrusion detection research (anomaly detection approach)?

yes, also called:

Anomaly Detection
Anomaly-Based Intrusion Detection System
Outlier Detection
Behavior Analysis

and other things i've forgotten...