funsec mailing list archives

What Rackspace is saying about Rita

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:58:56 -0400

Ticket #:

Subject:    Rackspace Customer Notice - Hurricane Rita

Account #:

Date:       09/21/2005  6:54pm

Comment:

In light of recent events with Hurricane Katrina and the impending storm
currently in the Gulf of Mexico, Hurricane Rita, we wanted to share
information regarding the safety and stability of Rackspace's corporate
headquarters and data centers. Although we have no reason to believe our
facilities will be affected in any way, we want to ensure you that we are
prepared. Our commitment remains, as always, to provide you with the same
level of Fanatical SupportT that you have come to expect from us--regardless
of the circumstances that natural disasters may present.

In the event of a disaster, Rackspace will begin execution of a
well-architected business continuity plan by immediately locating support
personnel and assembling them at a secure facility within commuting distance
of the metro San Antonio area. In the event of a regional disaster,
operations will be transitioned to our sister office in the United Kingdom.
Rackspace has built its phone and email systems to provide redundancy and
high availability in the event of disaster. You will still be able to
contact customer support via phone, email and tickets, just as you normally
do.

Our network infrastructure has been designed to provide the highest level of
redundancy and availability, utilizing multiple bandwidth providers. The
company's provisioning, ticketing and internal CRM solutions are clustered
and load balanced, while Rackspace's secure Intranet applications are housed
in multiple facilities outside of our corporate headquarters.

All five Rackspace datacenters are located inland, therefore reducing the
threat of damage caused by hurricanes. In the event of a power outage, all
data centers are equipped with fully-redundant power systems. Exterior and
interior construction of our data centers is designed to handle excessive
winds and facilities are grounded to absorb power surges that could be
caused by lightning.   If you have any questions about which datacenter your
server/s is located, please visit MyRackspace.com and click on the "View
Devices" link on the left menu.

We stand behind our 100 percent network uptime promise and ensure our
customers that required infrastructure will be available to support your
business, even during times of emergency. If you have any questions about
our business continuity plans, please feel free to contact your Fanatical
Support team.

Best Regards,

David Bryce

VP, Rackspace Customer Care

US: 800-961-4454 (Int'l +1-210-447-4600)

UK: 0800.587.2306 (+44.20.8897.4693)

Submit a support request at http://my.rackspace.com
<http://my.rackspace.com/>

<http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/09/22/ev1servers_hunkers_down_for_hu