funsec mailing list archives

Re: Getting mistaken for a terrorist.

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:48:33 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Xyberpix wrote:

Now this really gets to me!

When I go through to London, I usually take/wear a think coat, as most the times
I've been to London I leave really early in the morning, and I usually have a
backpack with a laptop, GPS device, MP3 player, wireless antenna, and some spare
batteries for my Mac. So yeah, this could happen to most people I know.

http://gizmonaut.net/bits/suspect.html

When a city comes under attack by rucksack-bombers (Thursday 7th July)
killing 52 people, and then there's a further attack (failed) by four more
rucksack bombers (Thursday 21 July), you have to understand that on
Thursday 28 July people are going to be more careful than usual.

I'm a Londoner, and believe me, it gets to me too that we've been attacked
like this - twice, in the same way, and although we're not going to let it
change our way of life, we are, for a long time, going to be a bit more
careful about possible terrorists on the underground.

From the account of the guy arrested, he was stopped, detained, arrested
and checked out very carefully. He was released several hours later,
having had to ask *twice* for a glass of water. He had to agree to turn up
at a police station a month later, he did so, and was told that the case
was closed, no further action.

If this had happened to me, I'd be mildly annoyed, of course, but I'd
understand what the reason was.