funsec mailing list archives

Re: skype again - muhahaha

From: Joe Stewart <jstewart () lurhq com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:58:17 -0400

On Friday 23 September 2005 02:34 am, Gadi Evron wrote:
This just hit /.:
http://it.slashdot.org/it/05/09/22/2155226.shtml?tid=172&tid=215&tid=
218

Just to remind everybody's funsec's take on this issue by Dr. Neal
Krawetz;

Combination #2: Phone Phishing
   Ring Ring
   "Hello?"
   (thick Russian accent) "Wello, Wis is eBay.  We need to werify
account."

I got a phone phish today. It went something like:
[Ring Ring]
Me: Hello?
Phisher: (In heavy Nigerian accent) Hello, I'm trying to reach Mrs.
Stewart
Me: She's not here
Phisher: This is Chris White calling on behalf of her bank
Me: (somewhat sarcastic) Oh, really?
Phisher: What time would be best for me to call her back?
Me: Tell you what, I'll take a message and have her call you. What was
your name again?
Phisher: This is Chris Black, and I am calling on behalf of her bank.
Me: Which bank would that be?
Phisher: I am calling on behalf of MBNA.
Me: That's not her bank.
Phisher: We appreciate her business, and will call back later.
Me: This sounds like a phishing scam.
Phisher: No sir. I am calling on behalf of her bank... Thank you for
your time. Goodbye.

-Joe

--
Joe Stewart, GCIH