funsec mailing list archives

Re: skype again - muhahaha

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:12:47 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:04:36 +0200
From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
To: Joe Stewart <jstewart () lurhq com>
Subject: Re: [funsec] skype again - muhahaha
Cc: "FunSec \[List\]" <funsec () linuxbox org>

I got a phone phish today. It went something like:
[Ring Ring]
Me: Hello?
Phisher: (In heavy Nigerian accent) Hello, I'm trying to reach Mrs.

What does a Nigerian accent sound like?

Kinda like a Russian, but 'flatter'

      Gadi.

Stewart
Me: She's not here
Phisher: This is Chris White calling on behalf of her bank
Me: (somewhat sarcastic) Oh, really?
Phisher: What time would be best for me to call her back?
Me: Tell you what, I'll take a message and have her call you. What was
your name again?
Phisher: This is Chris Black, and I am calling on behalf of her bank.
Me: Which bank would that be?
Phisher: I am calling on behalf of MBNA.
Me: That's not her bank.
Phisher: We appreciate her business, and will call back later.
Me: This sounds like a phishing scam.
Phisher: No sir. I am calling on behalf of her bank... Thank you for
your time. Goodbye.

-Joe

--
My blog: http://blogs.securiteam.com/?author=6

"The third principle of sentient life is the capacity for self-sacrifice
--- the conscious ability to override evolution and self-preservation
for a cause, a friend, a loved one."
      -- Draal, "A Voice in the Wilderness", Babylon 5.

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks () cadence com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin