funsec mailing list archives

RE: Bot hunting

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:07:40 -0700 (PDT)

From: "Aditya Deshmukh" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway strangled net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 06:08:00 +0530

Under US law, mere compilations of facts are *not*
copyrightable, which is
why for a long time, map companies would have intentional
tiny errors on their
maps, as the *errors* were copyrightable.

That is real fuunny but I find it surprising that they did
Not get sued for wrong maps by the public ie "faulty product"
or "misinforming the public"

Well....  The "errors" they introduced were, say, a street added to the
map that did not exist, or a street name mis-spelled on the map or in
the index.

This type of error would never come to light - except when the
publishing company suspected someone of 'copying' their map - because
no-one would ever look for that particular street...

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks () cadence com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin