funsec mailing list archives

RE: Bot hunting

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:04:13 -0400

Under US law, mere compilations of facts are *not* copyrightable,
which is why for a long time, map companies would have intentional
tiny errors on their maps, as the *errors* were copyrightable.

That is real fuunny but I find it surprising that they did Not
get sued for wrong maps by the public ie "faulty product"
or "misinforming the public"

This is called fingerprinting, and I've seen it used in software as well. My
first job out of college in '83 we built a large 4GL and had a couple of
dummy functions in the code that didn't do anything and were there purely
for identification in case code got stolen.