funsec mailing list archives

Re: Don't Call It Spyware

From: Tom Van Vleck <thvv () multicians org>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:56:46 -0500

On Dec 1, 2005, at 3:25 PM, Blanchard_Michael () emc com wrote:

"Three years ago the company was considered a parasite and a scourge."

And they still are in my book.... Claria is a filthy four letter word ...er 6 letter word <grin>)..... never to be trusted by yours truely....

It's the whole "targetted ads" that bothers me... that meand they are collecting information about me, in order to try and sell stuff to me... What happened to ad-ware that mearly had a banner on the top of the GUI at all times, some random banner for some random product/ site that might be fitting for the type of software it's supporting...

I worked for a few years at a startup that claimed
to be doing targeted ads with privacy.  We sent a
bunch of "candidates" to the user PC and ran the selection
algorithm on the user PC.  The user's private
data selected the ads but never left the machine; ad
graphic hits were anonymized through a proxy, until
the user decided to click through.  People liked it;
if they were going to get ads, they preferred having
irrelevant ones filtered out.

What happened to the banners was Google Adblock.
When I have to web surf without it, I remember how
annoying those banners used to be.