funsec mailing list archives

RE: 'Little Red Book' Draws Government's Attention

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:25:40 -0500

I saw this Slashdot post and article also.  The visit actually struck me as
some sort of hoax.  The only source for the story is the unnamed student.
Some aspects of the story struck me as pretty odd.  For example, I wonder
what "DHS agents" are.  And why didn't the writer check with the Umass
library for their side of the story?

Also does the UMass library system really require SSN's for checking out
books between libraries?

Richard