funsec mailing list archives

Re: 'Little Red Book' Draws Government's Attention

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:38:29 -0600

--On December 18, 2005 12:18:38 PM -0600 Troy Solo <solo () dok org> wrote:

Universities routinely use the SSN as a "Student ID Number", so it would
"make sense" (haha) to provide your SSN when checking out a book.

Although we use SSNs as the key in the db, we do not use them for anything else. That's about to change. We're in the early stages of an ERP project that will eliminate the use of SSNs for anything but financial aid applications (where it's required) and payroll (for obvious reasons.)

When you check a book out at our library, you use your ID card which uses an ISO 9000 number.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member