funsec mailing list archives

RE: Hey old people

From: "Brown, James" <jbrown () thrupoint net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:45:16 -0500

Along about 1975 I remember hearing about an issue with IBM punch cards.
Phone bills in those days arrived with a punch card in the envelope.  You wrote
your check, and put it in the return envelope along with the punch card that
had your account number and bill amount.

Seems some enterprising soul took his card to the puch card terminal and
put in the IBM EOJ  (end of job) character before sending it in, stopping the
entire billing run.  I don't know if this is true, but seems plausible given the
state of 'data validation' back then.  Can anyone verify this?

I remember this whenever I hear about 'smart cards' and stuff like that.

Best Regards,
Jim B.