funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hey old people

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:30:02 +0000 (GMT)

The crypto vulnerability that led to the Zimmermann Telegram, which
contributed to the USA entering the war against Germany.

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Sullo wrote:

On 12/21/05, Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com> wrote:
   Those of you with access to IEEE or ACM accounts

I've had fun with this one as well. I was finally able to gain
access to two ACM publications that I thought would lead to more
info, but neither did.  For reference, they are:
  1) "A problem-list of issues concerning computers and public
policy," Daniel D. McCracken, 1974
  2) "A problem-list of public policy issues concerning computers
and health care," Anthony I. Wasserman, 1975

They turned out to be speculation about potential problems, and
questions, than a list of actual issues. For example, from the
McCracken paper:

"Who is responsible when computer programs fail? The system design
who may not have adequately defined the job? The programmer who made
a mistake which he failed to catch because of inadequate program
testing? The manager who did not allow enough time for proper
testing? The computer operator who, although it was not his prime
responsibility, did notice what he thought might a problem--but said
nothing?"

Again this reinforces the notion that nothing has changed in the
last 30 years...

We're not quite ready to call this contest...but soon! So send in
what you've got. Even if it's more recent than some BB has discussed
here, we're still interested in cataloging vulns from the '70s and
earlier (well, anything we don't have, really).

-Sullo