funsec mailing list archives

Re: Hey old people

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:17:16 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Blue Boar wrote:

Drsolly wrote:
I visited Bletchly recently. They're rebuildnig a Colossus, the first ever
electronic programmable computer.

Oh, they give tours?

Yes and no. They do give tours, and there's some really interesting stuff
to see, but you're not allowed to go see the Colossus rebuild (the reason
was explained to me, but I forget, except that it had nothing to do with
security, it was one of those family-type disputes that makes no sense
at all except to the participants).

I went to see it anyway. I mean, what are they going to do, shoot me?

I also missed seeing the Difference Engine rebuild when I was there
last.  (There being England, not Bletchly, specifically.)  There's a
couple to add to my list of things to see.  My wife will be thrilled.

That's in the Science Museum. Next time you're in England, set aside a
couple of weeks to visit there. They also have some great very early steam
stuff, and an actual LEO, an extraordinary computer with a remarkable
source - probably the only computer ever designed and built by a chain of
tea shops.