funsec mailing list archives

Yet another problem at whitehouse.gov

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:32:34 -0500

Hi,

Here's another problem I just noticed with my packet sniffer at the
Whitehouse Web site.  The Whitehouse home page is referencing 9 image files
which don't exist on the Whitehouse server.  The server instead sends back a
19K byte 404 error page for each image file.  The missing image problem
seems to exist on other Web pages at the Whitehouse site also.  Since none
of these error pages get cached, 190K bytes of junk is being continuously
sent to visitors as they go through the Whitehouse Web site.  This is no big
deal for folks with broadband connections, but it dramatically increases the
amount of data being sent to someone on a dialup connection which typically
works only at 5K bytes per second.  Without any 404 errors, a Whitehouse Web
page should only by 10K to 30K bytes in size.

Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com