funsec mailing list archives

RE: Yet another problem at whitehouse.gov

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:12:58 -0500

Hi Larry,

Here are some of the missing images that I'm seeing with a packet sniffer:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/images/header3/home_on_r2_c8.jpg
http://www.whitehouse.gov/images/header3/home_on_r2_c11.jpg
http://www.whitehouse.gov/images/header3/home_on_r2_c15.jpg
http://www.whitehouse.gov/images/header3/home_on_r2_c18.jpg

As you can see, they all redirect to a 404 error page.  (As an aside, this
is an interesting little defect in the HTTP protocol.  A browser is
expecting an image file, but it is getting back an HTML file.  A Web site
404 hanlder might want to return an image file instead based on a .GIF or
.JPG extension.  Another option is to return a 404 error for image files and
not redirect to an error page.)

If you don't see the missing images in Firefox, it's probably because they
are being loaded by JavaScript and they are not part of the DOM.

I had a client making the same error.  A packet sniffer is about the only
way to spot this kind of problem.  The Whitehouse is problably paying 4 to 5
times the amount of money for Web bandwidth than they really need to.

BTW, I'm using a product called Fiddler
(https://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/) to spot these problems.  Fiddler is
really a great product.  It's the best packet sniffer I've run across for
watching HTTP traffic.  The free price is nice also.

As far as Russia goes, it is a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to
live there.  I did find amusing the Russian supermarkets that sell American
software for a couple of bucks per CD-ROM.

Richard