funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:16:22 +1300

val smith (top-posting to Jason Geffner):

Maybe nothing good has ever come out of malware except for some good
researchers / analysts. Definitly requires more  research on my part.

Many/most/all of whom would have ended up doing something similar
anyway as its largely a mindset thing...

The idea of software protections came of of copyright needs sure, however
one could argue that advances in that field do sometimes come from malcode
authors.  ...

Which is a "good thing" why?

Competent copy-protection system developers would devise their own ever
more difficult to crack protections on their own (at least as long as
the money made their spending their time on it worthwhile).  That's the
way things work.  That they could rip ideas from essentially public
domain, initially malware-specific code is just a bonus to them (though
potentially exposes them to patent and other liabilities if they don't
do the appropriate due-diligence on the code/idea they're ripping).

Suggesting that you making samples available might improve the work of
the anti-piracy/DRM/etc folk is hardly going to win plaudits for your
project either...

And to Randy re biological viruses, no I was making the argument that
sometimes good things can come out of something considered to ONLY be bad.

Yes, a well-understood point, _in the NATURAL realm_.  I'd have thought
the point here though is that although some "good stuff" has come from,
and it seems likely we'll continue to see more such "advances", have
you ever seen a free-for-all biological virus "analysis and
experimentation" lab?  Nope -- because of the risks of allowing the
less-than-highly-capable access to such material, it is kept in
extremely strictly controlled environments and locations.  Computer
viruses and other malware are not as dangerous as their bilogical
counterparts, but responsible access should still be practiced.

Also you'll noticed i put "new" in quotes. I know its not really a new idea
although maybe someone could enlighten me as to a previous project that
tried to profice a shared analsys experience that wasn't limited to "vetted"
researchers.  ...

Investigate the history of VX in general -- you'll find that many such
operations have "justified" themselves on the basis that they are
"strictly for educational purposes" and the like.  All nonsense of
course, just as yours is.

...  I guess I don't feel like I can make the decision as to who is
vetted and who isnt. If I did then perhaps I would be "playing God" in my
kingdom as a previous poster suggested.

So it's better that you just let all and sundry in to do whatever they
want, benefit however they can and so on?

In short, you are admitting that you have no scruples for, faced with
what you clearly recognize as a moral dilemma, you decide to solve it
by ignoring it.  The ethically principled solution to your dilemma --
should I do this reposnibly or not?, the responsible approach means
playing God, I don't want to play God -- is, of course, to NOT proceed
with the project, but that's not the approach you took, so we know you
are not ethically principled.

Your bio says you have over ten years compsec experience, yet you
display the ethics of a "normal" 10-12 year old.  I'm glad I'm not one
of your former customers or employers...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald