funsec mailing list archives

RE: so, is I[dp]S a STUPID technology?

From: "Dave Hawkins" <DaveH () Radware com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:02:42 -0400

At the very least, that 2/3's that was blocked is bandwidth that isn't
used up on the inside of the network.  Sure, it still soaked up some
useage on the main pipe inbound, but it didn't get anywhere afterwards.

Since I'm an IPS vendor, pardon my bias.  But let me give you two
examples of how we helped some people, and justified our existence in
their network:

1.) Major DNS host constantly being threatened with DDoS attacks.  They
have huge pipes inbound, but even with tons of load balancing the
servers were getting squished.  Our device goes in front of the server
farm and things are much better.

2.) Major carrier in an unnamed Asian country sees that a whopping 60%
of their bandwidth is propogation of a known worm.  This is their
customers trying to infect one another.  Our device goes in place and
cleans it up, stopping it between segments and preventing it from
getting out their internet pipe (thus saving them $$).

Sure, there will always be successful attacks that aren't blocked or
reported.  But in a lot of cases, blocking 2/3's of something is better
than blocking nothing and smugly relying on vuln scanners.  In the case
of carriers, they can't scan their clients, and even if they could, they
can't force them to get the appropriate patches/updates.

...just my two cents.

-Dave