funsec mailing list archives

Re: so, is I[dp]S a STUPID technology?

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:14:01 -0700

The problem is avoiding becoming a DoS vector in and of itself.

On Oct 11, 2005, at 2:01 PM, Kyle Quest wrote:

If we are talking about IPS I'd like to point out one little thing...
It's not just about stopping exploits, but it's also about dealing
with denial of service attacks. Having an IPS that blocks
denial of service attacks is definitely valuable. It can make
or break an ecommerce business. This is just one reason.

Another reason... Things aren't always simple. There are times
when you can't just install patches as soon as they are available.
Different types of companies have different requirements for
qualifying updates and patches. Sometimes it takes days.
Sometimes it takes months. So what would you suggest for
companies like that?

Kyle