funsec mailing list archives

Victims Told, in Error, Ohio Inmates Were Freed Due to Computer Glitch

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:12:08 GMT

Wow. Talk about a sobering 'wake-up call'. :-)

Via USA Today.

[snip]

The automated telephone call shook Karla Edwards so badly she couldn't compose herself. On the other end of the phone,
a message was telling her the man who was in prison for her sister's slaying had been released.

"I came unglued," Edwards said. "I can't even tell you how bad it was, I couldn't even talk."

Sobbing, she called the sheriff's deputy who investigated her sister's 1998 killing. He started making calls of his
own, and hours later, there was another startling discovery: It wasn't true.

Thousands of Ohio crime victims or their family members received calls from a computer notification system Friday
mistakenly telling them inmates had been released, a state prisons spokesman said.

[snip]

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2005-12-30-computer-glitch-inmates_x.htm

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net