funsec mailing list archives

Re: summary of the "sharing samples" thread from my view-point

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 07:18:29 +1300

Gadi Evron wrote:

<<big snip>>
My arguments repeat themselves: malware is everywhere - fact.  ...

Yes...

...  Good Guys
have a hard time - fact. Etc.
<<big snip>>

In this debate we keep hearing this claim, but I just don't believe it.

Who the f*ck are all these thousands upon thousands of "Good Guys" who
need malware samples and access to expert analysis of the same _for
their own and the Internet's betterment_?

Who the f*ck are they?

Where did they suddenly come from?

What do they do for a crust?

Why the f*ck are they not knocking down the doors of the professional
analysis labs (or presumably at ClamAV should they strongly prefer OSS)
that certainly could use a bunch of them?

Seriously, I want (in fact, need) to know the answer to this.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald