funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: summary of the "sharing samples" thread from my view-point

From: "dudevanwinkle () gmail com" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 13:04:28 -0800

Nick FitzGerald wrote:

Gadi Evron wrote:

<<big snip>>

My arguments repeat themselves: malware is everywhere - fact.  ...

Yes...

...  Good Guys
have a hard time - fact. Etc.

<<big snip>>

In this debate we keep hearing this claim, but I just don't believe it.

Who the f*ck are all these thousands upon thousands of "Good Guys" who
need malware samples and access to expert analysis of the same _for
their own and the Internet's betterment_?

Who the f*ck are they?

/me raises hand

Of course I am just one, but I am trying to learn coding, and appreciate
any information, especially from informed sources. There are lots more
misinformation out there than info, and people enjoy f#@king with your
head for laughs. ie: if you dont know math, and someone teaches you that
1+1=donut, then a career in physics is probably out of the question,
much to the enjoyment of the chemist who taught you in the first place
(more room for a chemist being the nobel laureate this year)

Replace chemists with black hat, and physics with InfoSec and voila! you
have an idea what its like not being "in the scene".

If there is no place out there to find this knowledge without first
having your character judged by total strangers (I hate being judged,
prolly cause its usually for 5-10 years ;-) and then jumping through
hoops, then someone will go out there and create one, or two, or fifty, etc

And I will visit them from time to time.

-JP