funsec mailing list archives

ATM fraud [was: Phishing that scares me....]

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 06:52:22 +0200

Hubbard, Dan wrote:
I don't know about you but I was pretty impressed with this one. Swipers
have come a long way and this one looks like it would be very
successful.

Actually, ATM fraud is a big thing for a few years now. We have seen it here in Israel for quite some time. Romania also suffers from it more than others.

Putting an extra swipe on an ATM machine, putting a camera across the street, building a FAKE ATM entirely, etc. happen quite a bit.

Some interesting stories actually involve social engineering, such as for example a scammer using a working machine, waiting for someone to come and try a non-working machine that the Bad Guy jammed.

The Bad Guy than offers his help by trying the card on his machine.. the rest is history.

Another example is the Bad Guy offering help, and changing the cards from the Good one to a Bad one, thus causing the Bad to be swallowed while pocketing the real one.
:)

Lotsa scams.

        Gadi.