funsec mailing list archives

Re: Red Herring Profile: Blue Security Spams Spammers

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:27:42 +1300

Fergie wrote:

For what its worth:

Interesting profile on Blue Security over on Red Herring:

If I understand them right, these guys think that a few hundred
thousand users, sending one request, once to a spammed address will
somehow grossly inconvenience spamemrs to the point where the spammers
will either give up or have to spend huge ammounts of money buying
really chunky servers and network connectivity to be able to witstand
the onslaught?

They clearly have no clue about botnets...

_ANY_ "anti-spam" method that depends on scale (be strike-back like
this, or Billy's (once) favourite "Penny Black", etc, etc) defeating
spammers is broken by botnets, as they already afford the spammers the
supposedly prohibitive scale.

So, aside from the valid concerns raised by other commentators in the
article, we can add "utter cluelessness as to the actual nature of the
problem" to the reasons Blue Frog is a worthless PoS "technology".

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald