funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sysadmin Work env?

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 22:05:44 -0800 (PST)

From: "Aditya Deshmukh" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway strangled net>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:10:04 +0530

The sysadmin likes to keep his office dark but the boss is adamant
about switching on the light "proper lighting levels" for sysadmins
eyes.

I have been asked to resolve this dispute. So please enlighten(!) me
what is the correct light level for a sysadmin all nighter that
should keep the sysadmins' eye doc happy?

Well...  Personally, to me, looking at a monitor (whatever flavor -
LCD, CRT, ...) is the same as watching television but at a much closer
range.  You should never watch TV in a dark room.  (There should be a
light on somewhere in the room.  Makes it much easier on the eyes.)

You should keep the monitor about 3-4 feet from your eyes and the
workspace should be lighted from the sides.  (I have two 40W
flourescents in my 'cube' to the sides of my monitor, and at home, I
have a desk light that mimics sunlight to the side that basically
lights the keyboard...)

Arms, when resting on the keyboard, should be basically horizontial
with something for your wrists to rest on.

My $0.02 worth.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems
555 River Oaks Pkwy
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin