funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sysadmin Work env?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 01:56:43 +1300

Aditya Deshmukh wrote:

The sysadmin likes to keep his office dark but the boss is adamant about
switching on the light "proper lighting levels" for sysadmins eyes.

I have been asked to resolve this dispute. So please enlighten(!) me what is
the correct light level for a sysadmin all nighter that should keep the
sysadmins' eye doc happy?

The boss is clearly a moron.

I bet s/he is the kind of fool that believes watching TV too long will
make your eyes go square, "you should not watch TV in the dark because
it causes vision problems,  and that "too long" in front of a monitor
necessarily causes headaches.

If the boss is genuinely concerned for the well-being of the sys-admin
the boss will keep his/her stupid, irrelevant and ultimately wrong _for
the sys-admin_, opinions out of the sys-admin's way and leave the sys-
admin to do what s/he is paid to do and at a light level determined _by
the sys-admin_ to be best for the sys-admin.

(FWIW, I used to work in a "too dark" office yet never had any of the
usual problems associated with "excessive" use of computers, "too dim"
lighting, etc, etc until I ended up sharing a larger office with a co-
worker and where I had less control over the light level.  I did then
(and still do) tend to set _both_ the ambient lighting level of my
office AND the brightness of the screens I have to look at somewhat
lower than most folk do and, left to my own devices and preferences,
have none of the problems mythically associated with such things...)

Another way to point out to the boss that s/he should just butt out is
to suggest that you extend your advisory role to ensuring that s/he is
not running their shower too hot or too cold...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald