funsec mailing list archives

Re: Nordea Sweden shuts Internet banking due to targetedphishing

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:28:26 -0700

Peter Kruse wrote:
In particular are MITM attacks effective against netbanks using one-time
passwords. This gives the attacker a small window of opportunity to exploit
the login data submitted by a clueless user.

The way you phrased that, I can't tell if it's a question or a statement agreeing with me. In case it's a question; Yes, it works against any kind of one-time password, since the MITM attack is taking place more-or-less live, as I imagine it.

I proxy you logging in. Maybe I used a few other proxies or an onion-routing network or something, to make it less trivial to track my phishing site down. You provide your creds, I'm now logged into your account. Even only stealing $1000 from 10 people before my site gets banned probably makes it worth my while.

                                                BB