funsec mailing list archives

AOL: 'We Did Not Comply With All of the DOJ's Search Data Request

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 00:28:01 GMT

As my father always told me,"In for a penny, in for a pound."

Via Boing Boing.

[snip]

Yesterday, I asked Justice Department spokesperson Charles Miller which search companies other than Google the
administration sought search data from, back in 2005. Mr. Miller said that in addition to Google -- which has refused
to provide the requested information -- AOL, Yahoo, and MSN were also asked, and those three companies complied. Andrew
Weinstein, Vice President of Corporate Communications at America Online, tells Boing Boing:

"I saw in your posting that the DOJ is indicating that AOL complied with their subpoena for user search records last
fall. That is not accurate.

"We did receive a subpoena from the DOJ last fall, but we did not comply with the requests made in that subpoena.
Instead, we gave them a list of aggregate and anonymous search terms that did not include any results nor any
personally-identifiable information."

[snip]

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/20/aol_we_did_not_compl.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net