funsec mailing list archives

RE: AOL: 'We Did Not Comply With All of the DOJ's Search Data Request

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 01:39:31 GMT

Sure, whatever.

In for a penny....

It's the simple fact of rolling over for __insert_your_hell_here___
that gets under my skin, and then spinning it.

Had it not been for Google refusing the DoJ, we'd have never known
that AOL "just" turned over a little bit.

- ferg

-- "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:
"We did receive a subpoena from the DOJ last fall,
but we did not comply with the requests made in
that subpoena. Instead, we gave them a list of
aggregate and anonymous search terms that did not
include any results nor any personally-identifiable
information."

As my father always told me,"In for a penny, in for a pound."

I don't have a problem with them providing aggregate data. Nobody's privacy
is violated.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/