funsec mailing list archives

Re: guilty until proven innocent?

From: "Mary Landesman" <mlande () bellsouth net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:40:30 -0500

It's true that Blogger composing can't be done on Safari - it's why I
wondered in the first place.

but _at home_ he may generally prefer
Firefox _on his Windows machine

In another post 'Josh' says he has no computer access outside of school. And
he says he disabled mail-to-blog posting. A number of his blog posts are
during the week, during normal school hours, and not on a date you would
expect there to be a school holiday - including his senior picture post
which he says he scanned at school (and the post date/time is during school
hours). It also appears that he is using his local time zone, vs. GMT, so
it's not an error being introduced that way.

So on the surface it appears that at least some of the time he is composing
at school. Using 'something' other than Safari.

FWIW, blogger authoring can be done on Firefox, Mozilla, and Netscape - so
it doesn't HAVE to be IE. Just not Safari or AOL. It seems to me that if he
were a Firefox and Safari user, he would create a template that played
nicely with those browsers. Instead, it is "Designed on and best viewed with
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6." All of which leads me to think he quite
possibly IS using IE, and almost certainly at school, at least part of the
time.

Of course, even if he is using IE at school, it doesn't mean he is looking
at ways to blow up his classmates. But it also seems to me that if the
school is bothering to use screencapturing monitoring to spy on their
students, they can correlate those captures with the user logged in.

I also don't think that just because he viewed a website that pertained to
the subject (abhorrent and appalling as it is), that it's necessarily a sign
of any guilt. He could have landed there accidentally after clicking a link
in a search engine, realized what it was, and backed out immediately.

So I in no way mean to imply I think this kid is brewing bombs.

But I do doubt his claim that he never uses IE in school. And if that should
turn out to be a lie, then I start doubting more of his story.

-- Mary