funsec mailing list archives

RE: guilty until proven innocent?

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 08:21:27 -0500

Most content filtering systems that I'm familiar with would simply record
the web sites visited, perhaps capturing/caching the page for further
review.  Is it commonplace to record a full screenshot?  How would the
screenshots be cataloged and correlated with the content/URL?

It's been a while since I looked at them, but I remember that there were
content filtering programs for the PC (Net Nanny and the like) that take
periodic screen shots. It's an expensive practice in terms of the storage of
course. And it is of value as compared to a simple list of URLs, since the
content of a web page can change over time.

How do you know who is actually using the computers at the time? There could
be some sort of sign-in system; it's a potential weakness of course. If
someone gets my login and then starts surfing porn, the records look bad for
me.

And no, on school computers I don't mind spying like this, although I do
think the fact that spying takes place should be prominently mentioned and
they need to work hard for a good authentication system.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blog.ziffdavis.com/seltzer