funsec mailing list archives

Re[2]: guilty until proven innocent?

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:16:01 +0100

Good Day,

As a parent too, this is a complex issue. I've always felt that
porn/erotica was better than violence. I am aware that one of the
real issues with porn (outside the moral ones) is that it raises
(cough, cough) expectations and might end up impacting negatively on the
child/adolescent's psychological balance. But so does, in a very
dramatic way, a bullet or a Predator's missile strike.

From a socio-historical point of view, we've always seen forces
working towards more control, and forces opposing them. Business as
usual, with the progressive forces, by definition, always winning.

ML> And this is just one of the many reasons monitoring is now being used.

It's not used everywhere. Just as metal detectors aren't standard
school equipment everywhere.

ML> Yes. It is unfortunate. But I don't place it in the same category as phone
ML> taps, mail tampering, etc.

Well, you probably don't agree with those things because you see them
as fundamentally undermining democracy as it was taught to you.

ML> And I truly don't know what else the schools are
ML> supposed to do.

I think it is somewhat pernicious. When generations and generations of
children have accepted the fact that they are monitored, how attached
to "habeas corpus" will they be?

ML> bridge. Does this mean I own (part of) that bridge? :-)

If you were a man, you'd be allowed be drunk on the bridge at night
and piss on pedestrians below - but I digress...

ML> passes hands, so does the ownership. But that's just my opinion.

Agreed, but I'd worry a bit more about the seeds being sown.

--
Best regards,
 Pierre                            mailto:pierre () datarescue com