funsec mailing list archives

Re: guilty until proven innocent?

From: "Mary Landesman" <mlande () bellsouth net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:39:53 -0500

Well, I think the issue is a bit different where minors are concerned. Maybe
it's dependent on the part of the country you live in, or the age of your
children, but my son was in middle school when Internet access was first
enabled and I remember there was a huge outcry from parents at that time. (I
was not one of those complaining). Not long after that, CIPA (in Y2k) came
into being and mandated that children must be protected from accessing
certain types of online material if the schools were to continue receiving
certain funds. And not long after that, EFF did a big study that was several
pages long and simply concluded that blocking was inadequate but offered no
constructive suggestions for what might be more effective. (No offense
intended towards EFF).

And this is just one of the many reasons monitoring is now being used.

Yes. It is unfortunate. But I don't place it in the same category as phone
taps, mail tampering, etc. And I truly don't know what else the schools are
supposed to do. And regarding who owns the equipment because it's tax
dollars - I donated some money to a forestry club recently to help build a
bridge. Does this mean I own (part of) that bridge? :-)

Seriously, though, I don't think that tax dollars are any different than
charitable donations. It's a citizen/civic obligation and once the money
passes hands, so does the ownership. But that's just my opinion.

-- Mary