funsec mailing list archives

Re: guilty until proven innocent?

From: "Mary Landesman" <mlande () bellsouth net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:04:50 -0500

that they went to all the trouble to go back and check up on him

From what he says on his blog, they went back to check on him because he had
accessed some info regarding (cheating on) ScanTron tests and that triggered
an immediate alert.

My son is a senior now and so far I know of only one instance where a kid
got suspended/disciplined for their activities in the computer lab. In this
particular case, the kid was a student admin on a particular server and he
was setting up proxies for kids to bypass the school's filters. The first
time, they shutdown the proxy and changed the passwords. He went back in,
set the proxy back up, and handed out new passwords. That's when they nailed
him. So really, he was asking for trouble. :P

Enterprising kid though. He's apparently got a very lucrative side business
on eBay and, from what I've been told, makes nearly as much as his parents
do.

I object much more to our kids' personal data being handed off to military
recruiters and commercial companies (Noggin, Zap2, etc), than I do
monitoring their computer use. It is, after all, the school's property and
they have a right and need to protect both that property and the students
who use it. I do think, however, they should be required to notify both kids
and parents that the systems are being monitored (something my son's school
does do).

-- Mary